Saturday, March 7, 2009

Onyx - Call of the Wild and Jet Set singles


Last July I posted a rip of a 1982 cassette by Onyx, an obscure Boston-area New Wave band. Their two 45s had long eluded me, but last week a generous reader provided me rips of them. (Thanks, Martin!) They are:
  • Call of the Wild b/w S.O.S.
  • Jet Set b/w Saturn 09

"S.O.S." and "Jet Set" appear on the cassette as well, but these vinyl rips obviously have better sound quality. "Call of the Wild" and "Saturn 09" round out the Onyx canon with more of the same sweet blend of minimal electronics and heavy basslines. Martin has also provided nice scans of the sleeves. The back cover of "Jet Set" contains the most information about the band I have yet seen: production and copyright credits are for Judd Stone and vocals are by "Beveur." The songs were recorded and mixed the The Loft in Boston and engineered by M.J. Klein. Web searches have turned up no more information on these people; does anyone out there know of them and their pre- and post-Onyx endeavors?

Get the vinyl rips here or here.


8 comments:

LambKabob said...

I have been looking for Call of the Wild since I heard it on a college station back in 1982? 1983? One hard-to-find single. If I could find a copy, I'd buy it.

Anonymous said...

can you p l e a s e re-up all the onyx material, the links are broken and i very enthusiastic to listen.
thanks
god bless you

Unknown said...

Hi ! I would like to get in touch with judd stone, does anyone know how/where to ? thx a lot ! it 'a great band need to be highlight

Unknown said...

I worked with Judd 2 years ago at an electronics company, he is still writing music in his spare time, and lives in Massachusetts.

Unknown said...

Good to hear that ! have you any idea of how I could reach him ? facebook or soundcloud profile maybe ?

Tim said...

Judd Stone seems to be producing music still - https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/juddstone. He could be reached at judd.stone.onyx2 at gmail.com a couple of months ago at least!

Anonymous said...

reup would be amazing! :)
thanks

MJ Klein said...

I don't know why you can't find anything about me, as I'm all over the internet, lol. I'm currently recording a new album in my personal studio in Taiwan - my first release in over 20 years. It was my privilege to work with Judd all those years ago. He is a great artist and one of the most professional artists I've ever worked with. Please check out my site mjk.asia. I'd be happy to answer any production questions about Judd's records, or about any of the hundreds of Boston bands I engineered and produced in the 80s.